Policy Manager, Solar Interconnection
June 7, 2021
New York Solar Energy Industries Association (NYSEIA) seeks an individual with a background in electrical engineering as well as strong leadership and communication skills to advance interconnection policies accelerating the deployment of distributed solar and storage in New York State. This individual will serve as the official Distributed Energy Resources (DER) industry liaison representing hundreds of contractors and stakeholders across the state for three joint industry & utility working groups, and other related stakeholder groups.
• Participate in coordination calls with representatives of the New York Department of Public Service (DPS), New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), Joint Utilities of New York (JU), and PSEG Long Island (PSEG-LI) to set agendas for upcoming meetings.
• Coordinate communications among industry representatives via group meetings, video conferences, calls, email notifications, and in-person meetings if applicable.
• Lead and facilitate industry stakeholder discussion on relevant Working Group priorities in preparation for official meetings. Negotiate and achieve consensus on Working Group topics.
• Coordinate third-party and volunteer activities or directly perform research to ensure proper delivery of work products and presentations for official meetings and posting on public websites.
• Lead the official Working Group meetings as DER industry liaison/representative.
• Maintain continuous organization of the industry database and library of files. Maintain meeting minutes.
• Manage and track Working Group priorities and progress.
• Perform original research as needed, including cataloging interconnection policies and information from other utilities, and reading published reports by various industry organizations, consultancies and think tanks such as IEEE, EPRI, Pterra, IREC, RMI, etc.
• Build relationships, camaraderie, and goodwill among industry, utility, and other participants within and among the Working Groups. Coordinate and facilitate social activities when possible.
• Perform other duties as required by NYSEIA management.
• A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Engineering or technical discipline.
• At least two years of experience with DER interconnection working for a DER developer or electric utility.
• A detailed knowledge of the market and development challenges and opportunities in New York for distributed solar and solar plus storage, and how technical and non-technical interconnection policies and practices affect them.
• Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
• The ability to work well with a variety of stakeholders including DPS, NYSERDA, and the JU.
• This is a full-time contractor position, with an expected minimum commitment of 40 hours per week.
• This is a contractor position with an initial contract period of three months, extended to twelve months based on performance across the initial three-month period.
• This is a remote position, with Working Group meetings currently taking place virtually. However, if COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, in-person meetings may resume, requiring periodic (once per month) travel to Albany, New York City, and Long Island.
HOW TO APPLY
For any questions about the position description or application process, please contact email@example.com. To apply online, please click READ MORE below or go here: https://forms.gle/Zs1pGREt1UB5STrd6
In 2016, the Public Service Commission of New York (PSC) authorized the creation of two state-level working groups to advance technical and non-technical policy regarding interconnection for DERs, known as the Interconnection Policy Working Group (IPWG) and the Interconnection Technical Working Group (ITWG). Meetings of the IPWG and ITWG are convened on a monthly or bimonthly basis and are chaired by representatives of the Department of Public Service (DPS) and the New York State Energy and Research Development Authority (NYSERDA). Key stakeholders include representatives of the DER industry and the Joint Utilities of New York (JU). A similar, parallel working group known as the Interconnection Working Group was instituted in 2019 to advance DER interconnection policy for LIPA territory, which does not fall under the jurisdiction of the PSC.
As the state-appointed DER industry liaison for the ITWG, IPWG, and IWG, NYSEIA is tasked with leading, coordinating, and facilitating DER industry stakeholder engagement across more than 100 firms toward the formulation of consensus-based industry proposals and positions regarding DER interconnection, as well as advancing these matters at the working group level by engaging with external stakeholders including the JU. To expand and accelerate its working group engagement and DER interconnection policy advancement, NYSEIA seeks to recruit an experienced and qualified consultant to serve as Interconnection Industry Lead.