Combating Climate Change: Solar Energy, Farming, and the Future in New York
Time & Place
Join American Farmland Trust for a special forum to discuss ways to expand renewable energy generation, support farm businesses, and drive action in response to climate change in New York.
Who: This forum is for farmers, solar experts, public officials, and others
Cost: $15 (payable by credit/debit card or eCheck). Ticket price includes breakfast and lunch. Land use training credits will be offered to local officials.
For any questions about the event or registration please contact email@example.com.
8:30 – 9:00 Registration and Breakfast 9:00 – 9:15 Welcome Remarks 9:15 – 10:30 Morning Plenary Discussion and Q&A: Climate, Solar, Agriculture and Opportunities in NY: A discussion with State leaders and lawmakers
- Assemblyman Steve Englebright, Chair, Environmental Conservation Committee (invited)
- Alicia Barton, President and CEO, NYSERDA (invited)
10:30 – 10:45 Break 10:45 – 12:00 Lessons learned from Massachusetts and our Neighbors: SMART program and other Smart Solar Siting policies on farmland
- Gerry Palano, Massachusetts Department of Agriculture (invited)
- Zara Dowling, UMASS Extension
- Drew Pierson and Iain Ward, Blue Wave Solar
- Emily Cole, Climate Director, AFT New England
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch and Keynote Speaker: Jimmy Daukas, American Farmland Trust, US Climate Alliance States Taking Action to help Farmers Combat Climate Change 1:00 – 2:30 Co-location of Solar and Agriculture: Research and Practice across the Country
- Jordan Macknick, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Cornell University
- Lexie Hain, American Solar Grazers Association
- Bill Jordan, Jordan Energy
2:30–2:45 Break 2:45–4:00 Panel: Opportunities and Obstacles for Solar and Agriculture on Long Island
- Jessica Price, The Nature Conservancy
- Rob Carpenter, Long Island Farm Bureau
- Herb Strobel, Local Farmer
- Local Government Official
This conference was made possible thanks to generous support from the Pritchard Charitable Foundation and Members of American Farmland Trust.